Estates vary in size, make-up and complexity. These differences can limit or broaden the duties and services to be provided by the personal representative. Following is a list of the services generally performed by Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC as personal representative of a decedent’s estate*.
- Work with attorney for the estate to offer will for probate
- Work with attorney to file inventory and coordinate subsequent legal filings
- Determine heirs/beneficiaries
- Secure residence and any other real estate
- Collect and value assets
- Inventory safety deposit box and/or home vault
- Obtain appraisals of personal property, real estate, closely held businesses and special assets
- Adjust cost basis of assets
- Manage and invest all assets in estate; Sell and/or exercise stock options; vote proxies
- Negotiate contracts to sell valuables, collectibles and special assets
- Safe keep and/or ship personal property
- Maintain real property Prepare house and property for sale and/or distribution
- Coordinate delivery of donations of personal items;
- Negotiate Listing/Auction Agreements for the sale of real estate
- Cancel subscriptions, services and utilities; pay bills; pay estate administration expenses
- Negotiate leases, including farm leases; administer oil, gas and other mineral/royalty interests
- Coordinate the prosecution or defense of claims filed against the estate
- Provide accountings to beneficiaries
- Distribute assets as provided under will; establish and fund resulting trusts as applicable
- Pay estimated tax payments as applicable
- File final settlement with court
- Hire attorneys, accountants and other professional advisors
- Coordinate continuation of business/farm operations for benefit of the decedent’s estate
- Coordinate ancillary administration for assets owned outside the deceased’s state of residence
- Work directly with beneficiaries and/or their representatives
- Value marketable securities for date of death value
- Obtain and maintain insurance on the assets of the estate as applicable
- Coordinate preparation, review and filing of federal estate and inheritance tax returns
- Contract the preparation of personal income tax returns and fiduciary income tax returns
- Assist with claims for and obtain insurance proceeds
- Assist with beneficiary designation assets ie: IRAs, 401(k) plans, annuities, etc.
Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC
500 W. Jefferson St. | Suite 700
Louisville, KY 40202
502-588-8400 | 888-878-7845
312 Walnut St. | Suite 3120
Cincinnati, OH 45202
513-345-5251 | 800-884-1750
110 Main St.
Evansville, IN 47708
812-428-5147 | 888-426-1481
*Additional fees/expenses may be incurred by the estate for services provided by professionals such as attorneys and accountants and other third party vendors. Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC does not provide tax or legal advice.
J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC (Hilliard Lyons) and Hilliard Lyons Trust Company, LLC are affiliated companies. Neither Hilliard Lyons nor Hilliard Lyons Trust Company provide individualized tax, accounting or legal advice. This piece is intended for general educational purposes. Please consult your accountant or attorney for personal tax, accounting or legal advice.
© 2018 J.J.B. Hilliard, W.L. Lyons, LLC.